Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Auchnagatt Barons 3 – 3 Burghmuir

1st Touch Football Division Two (East) at Auchnagatt on Saturday 9th March

Report by Andy McLaren

Auchnagatt Barons captain Ally Scott admits it is a “dream” to be able to play alongside his dad John.

The 25-year-old joined the Aberdeenshire side from Ellon Meadows when he was 15.

And Ally, who plays in defence and is in his 10th year playing with his dad, believes the father and son partnership can continue for years to come.

He said: “I’m never allowed to call him dad when I’m playing so there were a few new players who didn’t even realise John was my father.

“My dad never has a bad thing to say about me so it is a privilege to be able to play with him.

“The main reason why I play for Auchnagatt is because I love the banter with the team and it’s great to spend time with my dad every weekend.”

Ally was voted player of the year for his club in 2010 and was part of the Auchnagatt side which gained promotion to Division Two (East) last season.

But despite John still playing at the age of 52, Ally admits the squad is much younger this season and reckons they can stay clear of relegation.

“When I played my first game for the club, our defence were all over 50-years-old but we are now more competitive because of the increase in youth within the squad,” said Ally.

“The current team is definitely the strongest since I have been with Auchnagatt.

“We almost folded in 2007 due to a lack of players but things have changed and we now have the largest squad since I have been with the club.

“A lot of players come to Auchnagatt and have never heard of the village before so it’s great to still have a team.

“We don’t have many players from Auchnagatt anymore so it means there is always a game of football for anyone who stays in Ellon and the surrounding area.”

Auchnagatt Barons assistant manager John Scott introduced Ally to his first Auchnagatt match when he was four-years-old and admits he couldn’t imagine being at the club without him.

He said: “I have been at the club since 1980 and my highest point was winning the Castle Rovers Cup in 2001.

“It’s great to have Ally still playing for the club and I’m sure he will experience some silverware with the side in the future.

“I would say this is one of the best teams we have had since I arrived at the club in 1980.

“We have had a recent influx of younger players coming to the club and I think this is the reason why we seem to be doing better.

“It’s great that the club is still running for the local lads as it keeps them occupied and fit through the week.

“At this moment in time, the aim is to stay in the league and hopefully we can progress in the next few seasons with the new squad of players.”

Burghmuir started the brighter of the two teams and almost grabbed an early lead but Johnathan Stacker’s fierce header was palmed away by Simon Gray.

The Inverurie side opened the scoring on 15 minutes when David Barrie met John Ogg’s low cross to powerfully hit a shot past Gray to make it 1-0.

Burghmuir, who are currently sixth in the Division Two (East) table, doubled their lead 5 minutes later. Ogg’s audacious half-volley was cleared off the line by Stuart Brown before Ross Walker’s fierce cross was met by Stacker who tapped the ball into the net from 5 yards.

Auchnagatt started to rue their missed opportunities when Fraser Watt’s shot was scrambled away before Craig Booth’s long-range shot was gathered at the second attempt by Scott Sinclair.

Half-time: 0 – 2

Auchnagatt’s Peter Lindsay sparked his side back into life when he expertly dribbled through the Burghmuir defence to side-foot the ball through the legs of Sinclair to make it 2-1.

The Barons equalised on 55 minutes when Sinclair failed to catch Craig Robertson’s cross and the ball bobbled over the line to make it 2-2.

Auchnagatt’s joy turned to frustration when Burghmuir’s Craig Jones curled a shot past the diving Gray to make it 3-2 on 65 minutes.

The Barons should have made it 3-3 when Gary Main only had the keeper to beat but lashed his shot wide of the goal.

Auchnagatt found an equaliser on 85 minutes when substitute Russell Cannon’s header looped over the onrushing Sinclair to make it 3-3.

Moments before full-time, Burghmuir’s Stacker was left frustrated when his powerful shot was cleared off the line in the 92nd minute.

Full Time: 3 – 3