Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rainbow City Taxis Advert

Great Western United 3 – 7 Westdyke

Fosters Scottish Amateur Cup Second Round at Woodside on Saturday 13th October

Report by Andy McLaren

Westdyke co-manager Phillip Leat believes the return of several key players will kick-start a new-found feelgood factor at the club.

He watched on as a strong second-half performance against struggling Premier Division rivals Great Western United secured their place in the third round of the Foster’s Scottish Cup.

Leat admits the return of former US College player David Miller will be a turning point in the Aberdeenshire side’s season.

He said: “David has suffered a variety of injury set back’s recently but his return to the squad is a massive boost. He has played at a high level in the U.S and his two goals show how much quality he possesses.

“This result is going to be a huge confidence boost for the lads and I and my fellow co-manager, Jim Bain, can now push the guys on to get the results they deserve.”

Bain believes last season’s Association Trophy finalists have taken a massive step forward after their poor start to the season.

He said: “We haven’t had a stable squad never mind a stable team but I firmly believe the lads are capable of winning some silverware.

“The squad were close to clinching the Association trophy against Cove Thistle last season but to go one-step further would be special.

“This result shows we can hack it with the teams from the Premier.”

The home side started the stronger of the two teams and grabbed the opening goal on 5 minutes. Matthew Reid carved open the Westdyke side’s defence before driving a low cross leaving Ryan Whelan with a simple tap in.

On 10 minutes, Westdyke equalised through David Miller. The centre-forward took the ball from his own-half and skipped past Stewart Pether before curling the ball into the left corner of the net to round off an excellent individual goal.

Miller showed his quality again on 15 minutes when his audacious chip crashed against the post.

Miller then lifted a pass over United’s William Jack to pick out Gavin Stewart but Jonathan Brown made a crucial last ditch block to keep the score level.

Westdyke went even closer on 25 minutes when Stephen Johnston’s looping shot cannoned against the cross bar.

The Westhill side’s pressure paid off 5 minutes later when Malcolm Stevenson’s shot was deflected into the path of Miller who delicately chipped the ball over the onrushing Brown to make it 2-1.

Westdyke’s third goal came on 35 minutes when Brown’s attempt at a clearance struck the knee of Stevenson and bundled into the back of the net.

Great Western grabbed a lifeline on 40 minutes when a looping cross was headed into the net by Matthew Reid at the near-post.

In a frantic 15 minutes, Westdyke goalkeeper Ian Wright then pulled off a fantastic one-handed save to keep his side’s slim lead intact.

The goal United had threatened to produce finally came before half-time when Reid confidently rounded the onrushing Wright to make it 3-3.

Half-time: 3 – 3

Westdyke executed more pressure after the interval and went ahead on 50 minutes. The speed of Miller’s footwork allowed him to loft the ball to Brad Milne who nodded it in at the back post to make it 4-3.

The away side then made it 5-3 moments after when Stevenson expertly curled his free-kick around the wall, leaving Brown rooted to the spot to grab his second goal of the game.

The goal helped the Westhill side grow in stature and they clinically put distance between themselves and Great Western when Johnston unleashed an unstoppable drive on 75 minutes to make it 6-3.

The seventh goal came on 85 minutes involving two of the away side’s substitutes. Paul Neill brushed past Ian Kemp to square the ball for Lloyd Shand who took aim and side-footed the ball past Brown at his near post.

Full Time: 3 – 7