Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Postal ALC 2 – 2 ARI Thistle

1st Touch Football Division Three at Lads Club on Saturday 8th September

Report by Andy McLaren

Postal ALC chairman John Fowlie admits his side are lucky to still be in existence after almost folding due to a lack of players.

Fowlie watched on in frustration as Postal were held to a 2-2 draw by ARI Thistle.

Fowlie, who has been with the club for over thirty years, said: “Just to have a team on the park is great for us after our struggle last season.

“At times, we were even forced to sign players a day or two before a match to ensure we could get games played.

“This season has been great so far. We have a new management team in place and a large amount of boys who want to play for the club.

“Postal are one of the oldest clubs in amateur football so to see it fold would have been heart-breaking.

“We have had 4 draws so far this season but the main thing is we aren’t getting beat.”

Postal were founded in 1966 by Post Office workers who were disgruntled by England’s victory in the World Cup.

In 1999, the club merged with Aberdeen Lads Club.

“I really didn’t want a repeat of 1999 when we were forced to join with the Lads Clubs due to the same problems” said Fowlie.

“This match with ARI Thistle shows the future is brighter than ever and hopefully we can turn our opportunities into more goals.”

Postal immediately poured forward and snatched an early goal inside 10 minutes. Chris Bews, who was a menace throughout the match, showed quick feet to play a neat one-two with Roy Mathieson before calmly slotting the ball past Liam Maxfield.

Thistle were soon on level terms when Willie McWilliam unleashed a fierce drive from 15 yards giving goalkeeper Duncan Harcus no chance.

Postal were looking lively on the break and it came as no real surprise when hit man Bews fired home a half-volley that rattled against the crossbar before bouncing into the back of the net to make it 2-1.

On 30 minutes, Chris Bews then had the opportunity to secure a memorable hat-trick but scuffed his one-on-one opportunity against the post.

Thistle were inches away from going level again when McWilliam’s audacious 30 yard effort scrapped the crossbar.

Half-time: 2 – 1

The second half began frantically and Duncan Harcus had to pull off a sensational one handed save to deny a looping shot from Bobby Nobles.

The best goal was saved until last as Thistle’s Willie McWilliam dribbled the ball from his own half to expertly tuck a shot from just outside the area into the bottom corner.

Postal came agonizingly close on 70 minutes when Bews’ persistence and determination allowed him to float a ball over goalkeeper Liam Maxfield to Scott Stuart but he thrashed his shot high, over the bar after an open goal.

Chris Bews was again at the centre of attention when his shot from 10 yards hit the inside of the post but somehow didn’t cross the line.

Seconds before full-time, the prolific attacker looked on in disgust as he scooped an excellent opportunity from 10 yards over the bar.

Full Time: 2 – 2