Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Bon Accord City 1 – 4 Johnshaven Athletic

1st Touch Football Division One (East) at Kaimhill on Monday 20th August

Report by Andy McLaren

Johnshaven Athletic manager Pete Williams admitted he hopes the club can follow in the footsteps of neighbours Luthermuir and Portlethen United. Athletic’s boss is confident he has a side worthy of a place in the Premier Division.

He said: “By not having the pressure of competing with our neighbours and friends, I’m confident the guys have what it takes to challenge for a promotion spot.

“Most of the City side’s don’t really know a lot about us and I’m relishing the chance to make Johnsaven a fortress this season. In January, we were bottom of the league but came back strong to finish fourth. That is a sign we are building a team that means business.

“To have three teams from the south of Aberdeenshire in the Premier Division would be a massive achievement for everyone. The Premier Division is gradually consisting of more teams from Aberdeenshire rather than the city and we want to be a part of this.”

Johnsaven started the game with the more intent and grabbed an early goal with only seconds on the clock. City’s Sammy Stewart in goal misjudged the flight of the ball leaving Lee Hood with the simple task of thumping the ball into the net from 5 yards.

Bon Accord seemed galvanised by conceding an early goal and had two rasping volleys from John McDonald and Michael Cumming well saved by Matthew Smith in the Johnsaven goal.

City’s pressure paid off when John Furey unleashed a powerful volley that looked to be heading wide, only for Daniel Taylor to be at the far post to clip it into the roof of the net on 35 minutes.

Johnsaven’s Ross Blease was his side’s main aerial threat from set pieces and was twice denied by good reflex saves from Stewart in goal.

Half-time: 1 – 1

Straight from the restart, a tame effort from Athletic’s Lee Hood almost had Stewart in blushes as he fumbled a seemingly harmless effort.

City’s stopper could do little to prevent the Aberdeenshire side’s second goal as he parried Jordan Rausch thunderous drive into the path of Scott Beedie, who calmly slotted the ball home.

Johnshaven were soon celebrating again when Steven Smith drilled a loose ball into the bottom corner of the net, leaving Stewart frustrated with his defence’s poor marking on 75 minutes.

Athletic were soon dominating the majority of play when Robert Tringham’s sensational 30 yard strike cannoned against the inside of the post, a warning that they were not be content on their two goal lead.

Johnshaven swept forward from a City corner and Kane Hester, who had only been on the field a matter of minutes unleashed a shot that Stewart could only fumble but Steven Smith was on hand to tap the ball into the net.

Full Time: 1 – 4