Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Mugiemoss Youth 0 – 3 Torphins

1st Touch Football Division Two (East) at Aulton on Saturday 5th May

Report by Scott McPherson

Mugiemoss Youth continued their losing run with a disastrous start to the game which left them with a mountain to climb against mid-table Torphins. Goals from Cruickshank, Travers and Brow within the first 5 minutes left Division Two (East) strugglers Mugiemoss facing another heavy defeat.

Torphins wide man Keith Allardyce started quickest and was the outstanding player of the first 5 minutes. It’s hard to award someone a Man of the Match award for a 5 minute spell but Allardyce’s sharp start earned his side the victory.

It was Allardyce who created the opening goal just a few minutes in. His volley from the right angle of the 18 yard box went across goal but was cleared off the line by Muggiemoss captain Andrew McKenzie. His clearance only found midfielder David Cruickshank six yards out used his knee to lift the ball over McKenzie into the top corner.

Almost directly from the kick off Torphins doubled their lead. A long free kick from inside their own half was met by Steven Travers 12 yards out. ‘Moss goalkeeper Craig Laing gave a big ‘keepers shout but Travers beat him to the ball to prod past him.

5 minutes in it was 0-3 Torphins. Youth defender Lewis Crawford lost a 50/50 in the middle of the park and the ball was played into the space he vacated for striker Robert Brow who was nearly stopped by a last ditch tackle from full back John McKenzie, but he managed to shrug him off and slot past Laing inside the 18 yard box.

It could have been worse for Mugiemoss minutes later as Torphins really should have made it four. Allardyce broke through on the right again and pulled the ball back to striker Paul Gilbert who, with plenty of space, could only stab wide from six yards out.

As the half went on Mugiemoss stabilised and the Torphins pressure subsided although they continued to create chances against an unorganised ‘Moss defence. Striker Robert Brow galloped through the Mugiemoss back four to go one-on-one with Laing before very unselfishly squaring the ball to strike partner Gilbert which gave midfielder Scott Watson time to get a block in. The Mugiemoss defence were left claiming for offside despite Brow being in his own half when the ball was played.

Torphins were creating chances from everywhere, even directly from a goal kick which put Brow through again but his half volley blasted over the bar from the edge of the 18 yard box.

Half-time: 0 – 3

The Mugiemoss players seemed quite content to only be there down at half-time after their dreadful start, seeking a better a performance after the interval with the wind behind them. Unfortunately for Mugiemoss that never materialised.

Torphins also could not recapture their first half form which produced an uneventful second half. Both Torphins’ strikers Brow and Gilbert put half chances wide and over respectively.

The closest anyone came to a second half goal was 10 minutes from time. A Torphins corner was flicked on by Steven Travers and his header was cleared off the line by Mugiemoss substitute Liam Spencer.

The home side only achieved two shots on target the whole game, both trickling comfortably towards the goalkeeper.

Full Time: 0 – 3