Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Great Western United 5 – 2 Kintore

1st Touch Football Premier Division at Woodside on Saturday 21st April

Report by Andy McLaren

Great Western United’s Premier Division revival continued as they eased past Kintore 5-2 to improve their hopes of survival. The win means the Aberdeen outfit have now won three league matches in a row to take them four points clear of the relegation zone.

A four goal rout from man of the match Keith Mitchell including an overhead kick and a Ryan Duffy strike secured the points while Kintore’s crumbs of comfort came from a curling Greg Ingram shot and a side footed effort by Andrew McCabe.

Despite the result, Kintore created the majority of the first half chances. The sheer pace of Jack Speirs took him away from his marker but his clever chip could only bounce agonizingly wide of Jonathan Brown’s goal.

Great Western’s counter attacking potential became clear as Gavin Fraser had to react well to deny a low drive from United’s William Jack.

The home side opened the scoring in the twenty fifth minute when Keith Mitchell reacted first to a loose ball after his initial header stung the palms of goalkeeper Gavin Fraser.

Kintore had their best chance to equalise on the half hour mark when a sublime pass cut out United’s defence and Andrew McCabe turned and rattled the crossbar.

Great Western’s Ryan Bremner took on the role of being his side’s playmaker and it was his sheer determination that set up Mitchell for his second goal. Bremner set him up to unleash an unstoppable overhead kick that looped over Fraser in the Kintore goal.

Kintore continued to press and just as McCabe was ready to tap Chris Stronach’s low cross into an empty net, a last-gasp challenge denied the visitors.

Half-time: 2 – 0

The Kintore sidelines were left bewildered as to why their team had not scored as Jack Speirs lofted the ball high over the bar from 10 yards.

This came back to bite Kintore as the emphatic partnership of Duffy and Mitchell combined once more to make it 3-0 to the hosts. Another teasing ball in was met by Mitchell who powered a header past Fraser in the Kintore goal.

It took a diving save from Fraser to prevent Mitchell snatching another goal before Ryan Duffy unleashed an unstoppable drive that went in off the post.

Kintore’s first goal was expertly taken from Greg Ingram as he coolly curled a fantastic shot past Great Western’s Jonathan Brown leaving him with no chance.

Kintore’s second goal came moments later when Andrew Macall won a scrappy exchange with Brown in goals to give his side a slim hope of getting back into the match.

In the final minute, a misjudged back pass from the unfortunate Chris Stronach handed Mitchell the chance to round Fraser and to slot the ball into the empty net to hand his side a valuable three points in their quest to beat the drop.

Full Time: 5 – 2