Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Byron FC 3 – 0 Broomhill BC

Division Three at Jamieson Park on Saturday 3rd March

Report by Andy McLaren

Byron FC kept alive their hopes of promotion from Division Three with an emphatic 3-0 win over Broomhill at Jamieson Park, Woodside.

The team from Northfield started the stronger of the two sides with the impressive Lee Mair dictating play from the early stages.

The first clear chance fell to Broomhill after Michael Crusoe’s powerful run gave the impressive Nazim Djema a chance of opening the scoring, however his shot went wide of the target.

Both sides cancelled each other out for large periods of the match. Broomhill’s Jamie Dryburgh gave Byron a wakeup call with an audacious free kick from 30 yards which grazed the post.

The Byron sidelines were ruing missed opportunities after a misjudged clearance from Broomhill’s Alistair Brown presented Craig Russell with a chance of chipping the goalkeeper, only for his effort to go inches over the bar.

Byron’s Lee Mair was ruthless throughout the match as two sensational long range efforts forced goalkeeper Alistair Brown to make a double save from the commanding centre midfielder.

Broomhill’s best chance of the opening half fell to their playmaker, Nazim Djema but he was left frustrated by Gavin McDonald in the Byron goal.

The home side were claiming a penalty on 30 minutes when Broomhill’s Jamie Dryburgh appeared to handle but referee Alan Barry allowed play to continue.

Moments later, a coming together between Byron’s goalkeeper Gavin McDonald and Broomhill’s Niall Benzahia caused panic on the home side’s touchline as McDonald appeared to be hurting from the collision.

With 40 minutes played, Broomhill’s John Macdonald blundered a chance to hand the away side the lead when he broke free inside the Byron penalty area and sent a shot wide of the mark.

Half-time: 0 – 0

Shortly after the restart, Byron broke the deadlock.

Byron’s Leighton Ross’s persistence forced a corner for the home side after hesitation from Michael Crusoe. Christopher Smith’s cross beat the dive of Harroon Ahmed before ricocheting onto the head of Byron’s Connor Forbes who made no mistake from 10 yards.

The Northfield side had chances to double their lead when Lee Mair capitalised on another defensive lapse from Broomhill, only to see his shot beat Alistair Brown but not the post as it cannoned away for a throw in.

Broomhill responded well when Nazim Djema shaved the crossbar after a weaving run.

At the other end, Byron’s man of the match, Lee Mair wheeled away in jubilation after a stunning right-foot strike doubled his sides lead on the hour mark.

A strong challenge flared tempers as both sides came together, however referee Alan Barry calmed both sets of players down.

Gary McDonald in the Byron goal reacted well to parry John Macdonald’s low drive to keep hopes of a clean sheet intact.

Byron’s Christopher Smith finished the visitors off with a neat side foot finish leaving Alistair Brown with no chance in the Broomhill goal.

Despite their great effort and belief, Broomhill pushed for a consolation goal but it was to be Byron’s day as they held on for a valuable three points and a clean sheet.

Full Time: 3 – 0

Byron Secretary David Cowie said the performance of his side and in particular Lee Mair was “fantastic” and “pleasing”.

He added: “We have great facilities here and are performing well for our first season in Amateur football.”