Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Bankhead 4 – 3 Auchnagatt Barons

Division Three at Inverdee on Saturday 10th March

Report by Andy McLaren

Bankhead climbed three places to 10th in Division Three after a superb 4-3 win against Auchnagatt Barons at Inverdee.

The Aberdeenshire side’s promotion push suffered a bitter blow as the summer weather made for a competitive and entertaining match.

The first half made familiar viewing for both sets of supporters as a combination of slick passing and intense pressing made for a very tight match.

A defensive header was picked up by Auchnagatt’s Thomas McRobbie and from his pass, Gary Main skilfully attempted to jinx goalkeeper Scott Walker who was adjudged to take him down, however appeals for a penalty were waved away.

Bankhead’s first opportunity resulted in a disallowed goal as Euan Arthur neatly tucked away a well worked move, only to see his persistence ruled out for offside.

The Aberdeenshire side began to find a foothold in the game as good trickery and a burst of pace from Auchnagatt’s Gary Main forced Scott Walker into a good save.

A moment of brilliance was to shortly follow against the run of the play. A long throw in was neatly controlled from Bankhead’s Martin Low who rifled a half-volley past Simon Gray in the Auchnagatt goal.

Despite taking the lead through Low’s goal, Bankhead had keeper Scott Walker to thank for keeping them in front.

Auchnagatt were guilty of being too intricate in attack, but their most fluid first-half moment came when the speed and trickery of Gary Main forced another fine low save from Walker, followed by save from his feet to deny Main from 20 yards.

The Baron’s were the better side for long periods in the first half but could not convert their pressure into goals as Bankhead made them pay for their sloppy finishing.

Scott Baron showed good strength and agility to hold off two defenders before having an attempt well saved by Simon Gray, however the keeper could only palm it into the path of Euan Arthur who clinically dispatched.

Auchnagatt continued to push forward and got their rewards before the end of the first half. A well hit free-kick from Craig Robertson flew over the goalkeeper to give his side hope going into the second half.

Half-time: 1 – 2

Moments into the second half, Craig Booth spurned a great opportunity to level the score at 2-2, after the keeper parried the shot into the midfielder’s path, only for Booth to agonizingly hit wide.

Bankhead’s Chris Patterson was a whisker away from capitalising on Booth’s miss as he came close with a headed effort.

On the hour, the away side equalised when Gary Main ran onto a loose ball and hammered it into the roof of the net on the half-volley to level the score at 2-2.

The goal seemed to energise Bankhead, who rallied immediately to make it 3-2, 10 minutes later. A well-worked free kick from the Aberdeen side was fizzed into the path of Euan Arthur who made no mistake with a well taken header.

Another emphatic goal followed as Auchnagatt’s James Slater came off the bench to rifle a shot past the impressive Walker in the Bankhead goal.

Both sides desperately pushed players forward in search of a winner.

It was to be the Aberdeen side that came away with all three points as they secured a winner after a well-worked team move to catapult them up the league to 10th place.

Full Time: 4 – 3