Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Woodside 1 – 1 University

Premier Division at Lochside Park on Saturday 28th January

Report by Scott Mc Pherson

Woodside were looking to continue their great league form at home to University. Despite being one of few games to beat the freeze, the pitch looked in fine condition.

University started with a lone striker and 5 in midfield which indicated a conservative approach. However, that never materialised.

The away side slotted into the game much the better and could have taken the lead after 5 minutes. Nick Carlisle’s corner was headed towards goal by defender Mike Bruce which was kicked off the line by the man on the post.

University came close again, this time from open play. Winger Chris Reid’s in swinging cross agonisingly missed the foot of fellow winger Stephen Christmas and the far corner of the goal.

University playmaker Nick Carlisle was dictating the pace of the game and Woodside were restricted to counter attack opportunities at home, which would not have happened too many times this season.

The most likely route to goal for both teams looked like coming from a set piece and a long throw heralded Woodside’s first real chance of the game. Paul Main’s long throw was met by the head of striker of Bryan Forbes who hit the post from the edge of the 6 yard box.

Half-time: 0-0

Hard working University lone striker Raymond Utuk joined Forbes in hitting the woodwork at the start of the second half. Carlisle’s free kick was headed onto the bar by Utuk which fell to centre half Rob Hayes who failed to bundle the ball over the line.

If Woodside were going to score, it would be from the head of striker Forbes and that’s exactly what happened. A driven ball into the box was flicked on by the striker and nestled into the corner of the net. A great sign of champions is winning when not playing at your best and that’s exactly what Woodside were doing.

The goal spurred the league leaders into life and they went onto to create a number of good chances. Both Woodside strikers Forbes and Simpson had 1 on 1 opportunities but were both denied by University stopper Chris Ryan.

That reprieve seemed to fade quickly as their star man Carlisle pulled up with an innocuous looking injury which forced him off with 20 minutes to go. Despite the adversity they faced, University earned an unlikely draw.

The away side got the bit of fortune that their play deserved. With ten minutes remaining Uni’s Chris Reid drilled a cross-cum-shot across the box which was diverted past ‘keeper Thouless via the knee of Woodside defender Chris Buchan into his own net.

Woodside never really looked like re-taking the lead after that as University edged them out. Second place Westdyke will be delighted to see a somewhat surprising home draw from league leaders Woodside as they look to close the gap at the top of the table.

Full Time: 1-1

Woodside: Thouless, Allan, Buchan, Gibb, Forbes, Cronin, Neil, Main, Lepkowski. Thomson, Simpson. Subs: Marr, Ferguson, MacKenzie, Stewart, Davie

University: Ryan, Christmas, McKay, Bruce, Hayes, Reid, Smith, Meyrick, Utuk, Carlisle, Makaravicius, Subs: Damingoez, Whyte, Ellis, Lawerence, Edwards