Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Torry United 0 – 1 JS XI

Castle Rovers Cup Semi-Final at Tullos School on Saturday 4th February

Report by Andy McLaren

JS XI booked their place in the Aberdeen Trophy Centre Castle Rovers Cup final with a narrow 1-0 win over rivals Torry United at Tullos School in Torry.

In one of few games to survive the weather, the home side started the brighter of the two teams using the 1st half wind to their advantage.

The powerful play of Torry’s Vince Keith in the centre of midfield and the pace of Chris Clark in attack caused JS problems throughout the match.

It was to be JS XI who were to have the first effort on goal. Good play from Greg Easton gave the chance to Mark Andrews whose opening shot was comfortably dealt with by goalkeeper, Kevin Clark.

Torry’s best chance of the 1st half came on 15 minutes. A misjudged kick from goalkeeper John Sim went straight to the impressive Chris Clark who could only side foot it wide of Sim’s goal.

Another good chance for the home side was to shortly follow. A long clearance from the Torry goalkeeper was neatly controlled by Clark who rounded the goalkeeper to square it to his team mate, Barry Henderson who couldn’t capitalize from the good work of Clark.

Further opportunites to open the scoring were created by Torry. On 35 minutes, Craig Louden’s header was cleared off the line from JS defender Chris Shand, leaving the sidelines questioning how the home side were still level at 0-0 at half time.

Half-time: 0 – 0

An early substitution 5 minutes into the second half for JS highlighted Torry’s dominance throughout the 1st half.

The attacking mentality of JS soon showed. A slip from Torry defender Gordon Wright presented Richard Crighton with a great opportunity to score the game’s opening goal but was denied by a good save from Kevin Clark in the Torry goal.

Another good save from the opposing goalkeeper John Sim was to shortly follow as he saved well with his feet from a fierce shot by Torry’s Andy Gove.

JS started to gain belief halfway through the 2nd half and almost gained the crucial first goal. Centre forward Jamie Hume rounded Clark, only for his shot to be cleared off the line from Torry’s centre back, Colin Clark.

The deadlock was finally broken on 65 minutes. Ryan Stewart showed good trickery and power to beat several Torry players before setting up Greg Easton who clinically dispatched his side footed effort past the Torry goalkeeper.

JS’s impressive centre back, Martin Sim was to cap off a sensational display of determined defending as he made a last ditch goal line clearance from Mark Munroe’s powerful effort towards full time.

As conditions worsened and players became tired, JS XI held out for a hard fought 1-0 win to ensure they progressed to the final of the Aberdeen Trophy Centre Castle Rovers Cup, where they will face Ellon Thistle, Alford or Cammachmore.

Full Time: 0 – 1