Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Strathclyde University 3 – 2 Luthermuir

Fosters Scottish Amateur Cup Fourth Round Replay on Saturday 14th January

Luthermuir travelled to Stepps, Glasgow for their replay against the University side and started just where they left off in the game at home a week ago.

Within a minute the Muir created the first chance after good work by Ellis, he fed the ball out wide to Cruickshank and his pass released Greig in behind the back line, his shot was well saved by the keeper.

On 3 mins a great ball over the top by Slesser had Anderson clear of his defender and his shot was saved by the keepers feet and got up to gather before Anderson could have another stab at it.

On 5 mins a ball across the back line by Duff to Morrison let him gain advantage down the wing and he slipped the ball into Anderson’s feet 25 yards from goal, Anderson spun his defender and unleashed a shot at goal that was parried by the keeper out wide. Cruickshank was first to react and as the keeper was trying to get back to his goal he whipped in a ball to the back post that was headed clear by the Uni defence from the on rushing Slesser.

The first real chance for the Uni team came in 10 mins when a ball from midfield down the middle released the striker away, he rounded Wands and Duff came from nowhere to clear the ball from his feet with a goal looking likely.

The Muir were creating more and more chances but could not get the break through and again on 15 mins a good run out wide by Ellis created another chance when he slipped the ball back to Miller and his infield pass to Greig was thundered to goal but just went wide.

A few minutes later a ball over the top was headed down by Anderson into the path of Slesser and he took aim from 20 yards but his shot just went wide of the post. The Uni team started to come into the game and create some good passes of their own but never managed to worry Wands in goal.

On 29 mins another chance was created when Miller fed the ball long down the line to Slesser who cut inside and his thunderous shot went wide of the post. This was starting to look like the game at home and the Muir were starting to worry that they could live to regret these missed chances.

It took until the 40 minute before another chance was created and this time great work by Cruickshank and Greig with one twos down the wing let Greig race clear of the last defender but his shot was blocked with a last gasp tackle from a defender and cleared.

On 43 mins a ball over the top looked harmless but Young misplaced his clearance across the box and Morrison tried to get a connection on it to put it safe but it fell to a striker who buried it across goal for the opener.

This was a blow to the Muir who had dominated their opponents for most of the half with very little chances being created from the home side. The final chance of the half was created when Ellis fed the ball out wide to Cruickshank who raced down the line and cut the ball into Greig’s feet and he passed his defender to race to the by-line, his cut back was met by Cruickshank and just went wide of the near post.

Half-time: 1-0

Straight from the kick off the ball was played over the top and the on rushing Anderson snatched at the shot and put it over with just the keeper to beat. The Muir were now pushing their opponents deeper into their own half and down in the corner from a throw in Ellis flicked the ball on in the box to Grieg, his over head kicked was well saved by the keeper.

On 51 mins the Muir defence got caught out when a run down the wing by a Uni player was not challenged and he raced into the box to cut back the ball to the on rushing striker to bullet home their second.

This changed the game with the home team getting a lift and within 2 minutes the Uni players added a third when from a corner a player rose unmarked and headed home.

After a few frank words and change of formation the Muir got back into the game on 58 mins when Slesser slipped a ball along the deck for Anderson to race away in between two defenders, he cut over to his left and let fly with his shot that wrong footed the keeper for 3-1.

On 60 mins a through ball to Greig created another chance when he headed towards goal, as the keeper came out he squared it along the ground to Anderson but a defender nipped in to clear before Anderson could finish.

It was only a few minutes more when they got another goal when Ellis went on a run down the wing and layed it inside to Slesser who passed to Greig, he skipped by two challenges and from 20 yards he rifled his shot into the top corner with the keeper rooted to the spot for 3-2.

The game went end to end now with both teams looking for the next goal that could change the tie. On 72 mins a great run down the wing by a Uni player was crossed to the back post where two attackers were waiting but it was headed just over the cross bar.

Luthermuir continued to press their opponents but could not find a breakthrough and the final chance came on 88 mins when a ball down the wing released Morrison into the box but his shot was gathered by the keeper.

Luthermuir can only look back to the home game when they should have finished the tie off and the chances they created would have seen them progress to the fifth round.

Full Time: 3-2

Luthermuir: Wands, Miller (R Darar), Young, Duff, Morrison (Robertson), Cruickshank, Reid, Ellis, Slesser, Greig, Anderson – Subs: S Lindsay, Walker, Simpson