Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Kincorth 3 – 6 Woodside

Report by Andy McLaren

A hat-trick from Woodside’s Brian Forbes ensured his side remained at the top of the Premier Division after a 6-3 victory over rivals Kincorth at Kincorth Academy.

Kincorth were in confident mood before the game following their marathon 10-9 penalty shoot-out victory against Dee Amateurs two weeks ago and their 5-3 win over Great Western United last week.

The fierce wind was to become an important factor throughout the match with Kincorth electing to play down the slope with the wind assisting them in the 1st half. Kincorth’s Chris Higgins wasted no time in making his sides intentions known with a fierce shot straight from the kick off.

The rivalry between the two teams was showing and the importance of the top of the table clash resulting in some fierce challenges as both teams strived for dominance. Kincorth continued to push for the first goal and came close from a Mark Hutchins header on 10 minutes.

Woodside’s first attack resulted in the match’s first goal when Brian Forbes clinically dispatched a well worked move from the Woodside midfield.

Kincorth immediately fought back with further chances for Jamie Buchan and commanding centre back, Chris Higgins. Kincorth’s Paul Bowman then grabbed his sides 1st goal after a wind assisted cross from Tony Livingstone deceived the Woodside goalkeeper leaving a simple tap in for Bowman.

On 40 minutes, the temperature of the game was raised when a strong challenge from Woodside’s Nicholas Ferguson resulted in a booking for the player. This seemed to galvanize Kincorth and their constant pressure paid off when Mark Hutchins made it 2-1 to his side. Hutchins pounced when Woodside’s Douglas Gibb hesitated in clearing the ball and made no mistake in finishing under the despairing goalkeeper before half time.

Woodside were now playing downhill with the wind behind them and immediately caused Kincorth problems with the pace and skill of Brian Forbes and James Simpson. It was Simpson who leveled the match at 2-2 with a great individual run giving him the opportunity of sliding the ball past Willox in the Kincorth goal from a tight angle

An incisive break from Kincorth’s Paul Durrand resulted in Woodside’s Douglas Gibb to make a strong challenge on the edge of his box. This forced the referee to make a vital decision on whether it was a professional foul or not and to the dismay of the Kincorth touchline, Gibb was only given a yellow card.

With the game still level at 2-2, Woodside’s James Simpson had several good chances but could not convert, however, on 65 minutes, a corner from Woodside fell to Brian Neil on the edge of the box who struck a fierce shot past Paul Willox in the Kincorth goal to send the Woodside touchline into ecstatic celebrations.

Another well worked move from Woodside left the Kincorth defence isolated and outnumbered and James Simpson neatly chipped Willox to make it 4-2 to Woodside.

On 80 minutes, Kincorth grabbed a 3rd goal to make the last 10 minutes a very tense affair. A high ball caused confusion in the Woodside defence and left Kincorth’s Paul Bowman unmarked to side foot the ball low and hard past the Woodside goalkeeper.

The influence of James Simpson again made the difference as he turned provider for Brian Forbes who sealed Woodside’s victory with his side’s fifth and sixth goal to complete his hat-trick.