Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

AC Mill Inn 2 – 3 Cowie Thistle (AET)

AC Mill Inn faced up to local rivals Cowie Thistle in this much anticipated Association Cup tie. After a number of call offs due to adverse weather both sets of managers were delighted to get the game under way albeit in conditions that were always going to affect the standard of football on show.

Cowie started the strongest and tried to play a passing game whilst Mill Inn were using the long ball and the windy conditions in an attempt to get behind the Cowie rearguard.

It was Cowie that took the lead midway through the first half although the goal itself did carry some luck when McDonald turned in the box and what appeared to be an attempted cross sailed over the Park and into the net.

Pressure was mounting on Mill Inn and Fraser, Adie and Ewan all had efforts on goal testing Park in the Mill Inn goal. It was one way traffic at this time and when Mill Inn did mount an attack the Cowie back line held strong and came close to doubling their score when a Watson’s effort crash off the post to safety.

As half time approached Valentine in the Cowie goal saw his first action of the game when a long range effort from Robb was held comfortably.

Mill Inn started the brighter in the second half and had an opportunity to equalise when Robertson was adjudged to control the ball with his hand and the referee awarded a penalty kick to the home team. Mill Inn captain Adam stepped up and confidently slotted the kick home to bring the game level.

The award of the penalty kick seemed to knock Cowie out of their stride briefly and they soon found themselves behind when a Morris free kick was deflected into the corner of the net after Robertson had conceded a foul on the edge of the box.

This setback galvanised Cowie into action and it was only a matter of minutes until they found themselves level. Substitute Penny picked the ball up wide and drove at the Mill Inn defence and as he broke into the box goal scorer Morris appeared to trip Penny resulting in the second penalty of the match. Watson stepped up and sent Park the wrong way to bring the scores level.

Cowie then took the game to Mill Inn and spent the remainder of the game attacking the home goal in search of the winner. Riddell again had a good chance to score but placed his header wide before another Watson effort was pushed wide by Park.

Park was outstanding for the home team and saved at the feet of Fraser who had been played through by Cursiter. This proved to be the final opportunity of the ninety minutes and the game headed to extra time.

In extra time it was Cowie Thistle who found the net through a Fraser volley, and Mill Inn’s chance of getting back into the game was lost when they were reduced to 9 men.