Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rainbow City Taxis Advert

RGU 2 – 2 MS United

Report by Scott Mcpherson

In one of only two amateur games to beat the weather, RGU took on MS United on the astro turf at Kaimhill.

Both teams were clearly up for it but the home side were out the traps quickest. They were nearly one up within a minute as they caught MS on the ball from their own centre. This resulted in RGU’s number 9 Thain chipping narrowly wide of the goal.

Minutes later RGU came even closer. Thain again laid the ball on a plate for his strike partner Morrison who managed to glance a header wide from a couple of yards with pressure from a defender.

As RGU continued to dominate early proceedings the MS ‘keeper Scouller had to produce a magnificent save to keep the game goalless. RGU winger Calum Scott burst through unchallenged and his shot was tipped wide by the MS number 1.

Despite RGU having most of the ball, when MS were in possession they looked very neat and tidy. This was proven as against the run of play striker Innes was slipped in and expertly rounded the on rushing keeper and placed the ball beyond the covering defender to put the away side in front.

This provoked an immediate response from their opponents who went up to the other end of the pitch and hit the ‘bar. Scott was next to try his luck and hit a left footed drive from the edge of the box which was tipped onto the crossbar by Scouller. It was déjà vu for RGU as they missed two further great chances with glancing headers from crosses from the right, Stoddart and Thain guilty on these occasions.

In typical football fashion, they were punished for their sloppiness. An MS corner wasn’t cleared properly and it eventually fell to number 8 Mackie who smashed a half volley towards goal, which the ‘keeper got a strong hand to but couldn’t keep out. Despite their dominance, RGU went into the interval behind.

The second half was almost like an attack versus defence training session. The hosts had so much of the play but found it difficult to break down the MS wall of defence. For a long time, it looked like their most likely route to goal would be through the left foot of their set piece specialist Fraser Low.

However gaps eventually appeared as RGU went on to hit the woodwork twice. Substitute Giampierro Francsi hitting the crossbar from distance and winger Adam Gatens stroking the ball against the post from the corner of the box.

RGU finally scored through central midfielder Stoddart. The ball fell to him in the middle of the box from a Low free kick and he curled a left foot effort into the corner with 5 minutes to go.

With time seemingly running out, the home side came up with an equaliser at the start of stoppage time. Another long range effort from Francsi somehow went through defenders and goalkeeper Scouller to nestle in the bottom corner.

The game wasn’t over however. Seconds later MS went up the other end and substitute Ewan Martin produced a fine save from RGU number 1 Ryan Waugh with a low header direct from a corner. His header looked destined for the corner until the ‘keeper appeared to poke it around the post.

In the end a draw was probably the correct result. Despite being second best for long periods, MS deserved their point for their work ethic and simply being more clinical than their opponents.