Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Trophies International 0 – 5 Ellon Amateurs

Report by Andy McLaren

Ellon Amateurs clinched a 5-0 win over Trophies International in the third round of the Aberdeen FC Trophy at Beach Park, Balmedie.

Strong winds caused both sides difficulty throughout the match. Trophies International started the stronger of the two teams.

On five minutes, a well worked move by Trophies resulted in a fierce shot by striker Ian Clark who came agonisingly close to opening the scoring. This was a signal of intent by Trophies International who created further good chances without troubling Andrew Dickinson in the Ellon goal.

A floated ball in from Ellon Amateurs midfielder Martin Buchan caused panic in the Trophies defence resulting in a penalty kick being awarded to Ellon. Against the run of play, Trophies defender Darren Hutton was adjudged to have fouled the impressive Fraser Thomson in trying to head the ball away from goal. Ellon’s Craig Smith calmly side footed the ball into the net to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Several good chances were to follow for Trophies International. Commanding centre back Darren Hutton had several free headers from set plays but couldn’t convert for the Balmedie side.

After half an hour, Ellon Amateurs snatched a second goal. Tireless centre forward James Bain was the only player to react to a through ball and on his second attempt coolly netted past the unlucky Keith Sinclair despite appeals for offside.

A strong challenge by Trophies Ritchie Burke highlighted both his and his team’s anger at Ellon’s two controversial goals.

Ellon Amateurs pushed hard for a third goal before half time forcing Trophies goalkeeper, Keith Sinclair, to make several good saves.

Ellon started the second half the stronger of the two teams and dominated possession. Sensing the importance of a third goal, Ellon winger, Fraser Thomson, fought off four players before unleashing a unstoppable shot past Sinclair in goal to make it 3-0.

A fourth goal for Ellon Amateurs came shortly after when Andrew Dickinson picked out James Bain from a goal kick who neatly finished to get his second goal of the game.

Trophies International never gave up hope and created a great opportunity when Michael Gove spotted the run of Ian Clark who was left one on one with Dickinson but lofted his shot over the bar.

As the match came to an end, Ellon midfielder Sam Barrett sealed the win by scoring a wonderful goal from twenty-five yards after good persistence from Ryan Sutherland.

Trophies International will be disappointed after missing good chances in the first half. To Ellon’s credit, they showed good composure to dominate the second half and close out the match.