Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

BSFC 3 – 2 Grammar FPs

North Of Scotland Cup First Round at Balgownie on Saturday 29th October

Report by Raymond Morrison

BSFC had only 11 players available for this tie which included committee members and veteran goalkeeper Gary Riddell. Grammar FPs may feel aggrieved, especially as they played almost an hour of the game, including extra-time, with 10 players after No 2 Robertson was sent off for a second caution.

The teams were evenly matched in the early skirmishes with BSFC trying some long range efforts which didn’t bother the Grammar goal. With 10 minutes gone McQuilter of Grammar gathered the ball from their first corner and fired a shot just over the bar.

McQuilter was making inroads down the left-hand side and causing problems each time he came forward crossing for Adair to head over. BSFC were also creating chances and Ingram came close seeing his shot just go wide of the right hand post.

BSFC goalkeeper Riddell had look sharp off his line to save a through ball which was being chased by McGreggor of Grammar. BSFC were almost caught out when McQuilter cut in from the left before chipping the ball over the BSFC defence and keeper only to see his effort come back off the bar.

Grammar took the lead in 23 minutes when the ball fell to MacPherson who fired in a shot past the despairing goalkeeper. BSFC’s nearest effort came on the half hour mark when Ballantine shot into the side net.

Dawson of Grammar almost became a sinner when a short pass back to his keeper was almost intercepted by Ward.

Half-time: 0-1

BSFC were pushing for the equaliser and were rewarded just after Robertson was sent off for a second caution in the 55th minute. From the free kick no 4 hit a 35 yard shot into the far corner.

However their joy was short lived as, from the restart, Grammars Barclay bundled the ball into the net from a McQuilter cross.

With time running out Ballantine received the ball at the edge of the box turned and volleyed past Grammar’s Reaich.

The game went into extra time and although both teams created chances it was BSFC that came out on top when Ballantine doubled his tally.

With ten minutes to go Grammar gambled and threw their goalkeeper Reiach up top but to no avail.

Full Time: 3-2

Referee: Paul Hughes