Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rainbow City Taxis Advert

Kaimhill United 5 – 7 Nicolls AFC

Division One (North) at Garthdee on Saturday 22nd October

Report by Raymond Morrison

It’s not often you have a player score a hat-trick and your team a total of five goals and still come off the park defeated, but that’s exactly what happened to Kaimhill United in this Division One (North) game.

Both teams were looking to improve their league positions as most other teams in the league were on cup duties. Kaimhill were buoyant after a good 3-1 win last week, whilst Nicolls were hoping to bounce back from a 2-0 defeat. Nicolls were almost at full strength, however Gary Johnstone the Kaimhill manager had five players missing due to them attending a wedding.

The game started at a frantic pace as both teams tried to take the initiative. It was not long before the first goal was scored by the visitors. In the 3rd minute Ord slipped a pass through the Kaimhill defence for Martin to run on to and calmly slip the ball under the advancing Woods.

Kaimhill came close almost immediately when Greive tried his luck from 25 yards only to see his effort go over the bar. This was followed by a Thomson shot which went just past Webster’s right-hand post.

Nicolls doubled their lead in the 11th minute when Skene turned Jamieson and crossed to Reid whose first time volley flew past Woods into the net. Kaimhill then had Nicolls under pressure, winning five corners in succession.

Ord then won the ball on the right and released Storey who pulled the best out of Woods who had a double save. Anderson then had an audacious shot from the halfway line which almost caught Webster out who was happy to see the ball clear the bar.

Ord was causing problems for MacLennan and when he broke clear of the centre back he again slipped the ball to Storey who increased Nicolls lead to 3-0 after 25 minutes. Ord then had an overhead kick saved by Woods, this seemed to spur on Kaimhill and Webster had to save at the feet of Goldie.

Kaimhill got a foothold in the game when Goldie thn managed to muscle McDonald off the ball and, as the Nicolls defence claimed for a freekick, crossed to the far post for Weir to head the ball past Webster.

The home side continued to press forward and were rewarded for their pressure within two minutes when Greive struck to reduce the deficit to one when he chipped the ball over the advancing Webster.

Half-time: 2-3

Nicolls got of to the perfect start when Ord turned Anderson inside out before chipping the ball to the far post for Martin to head into an open net.

Kaimhill made a double substitution with Cowie and Petrie coming on but it was Nicolls whoe were looking comfortable. They increased their lead once more when Ord turned MacLennan and shot past Woods only for it to come back off the post to his team mate Thornton who scored off the inside of the post.

If Nicolls thought it was all over Kaimhill had other ideas and started a remarkable comeback once again. In the space of five minutes Kaimhill were level.

The first coming on the hour mark from a Cowie pass to Grieve who although closely marked managed to get free and score. Four minutes later and a cross from substitute Cowie surprised everyone and floated into the far corner of the goal. Grieve then bagged his hat-trick with a free header at the back post.

Kaimhills comeback was almost completed after Webster came to gather the ball at the edge of his box the ball bounced awkwardly and he ended outside his box unable to handle it. Greive gathered the ball and shot at the empty goal only to see Johnston slide in to clear the ball for a corner.

Reid won the ball from the resultant corner and ran the whole length of the park before shooting and Woods turning the ball behind for a corner, from which Nicolls were awarded a penalty which the referee indicated a movement of the arm to the ball. Ord took the spot kick putting Woods the wrong way.

In injury time Ord wriggled his way past two defenders before Woods saved his shot only for the ball to fall kindly for Ord to finish clinically.

Full Time: 5-7

Kaimhill United: Woods, Anderson,Jamieson,Muir, MacLenan, Gray, Grieve, Weir, Goldie, Thomson, Pinkerton Subs: Cowie, Petrie, Ruxton, Duncan, Johnstone

Nicolls AFC: Webster, Johnston, McDonald, Stephen, Thornton, Sharp, Martin, Ord, Skene, Storey. Subs: Bradford, Young, McNamara, Annand, Odonell

Referee: Derek Vass