Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rainbow City Taxis Advert

Echt 8 – 0 Stonehaven Athletic

North of Scotland Cup Third Round on Saturday 5th March

Prior to a ball being kicked in anger in this Soccer World North of Scotland Third Round tie, in which Premier Division Echt hosted Division One (North) side Stonehaven Athletic, both sides had chalked up excellent cup wins in their previous two outings, all involving Premier opposition.

Presslie had Echt in front with barely 4 minutes on the clock with a stunning 28 yard free-kick, over the visitors wall and just inside Middleton’s right hand post at a height that left the keeper helpless.

Before Stonehaven had a chance to catch their breath, never mind get a foothold on proceedings, Presslie struck again in 7 minutes. Having created space for himself at the edge of the box he curled a delightful grounder inside Middleton’s left hand this time.

The visitors, at the end of a good passing move down their left, created possibly their best goalscoring opportunity of the match only for Reid to be denied when home keeper Garden produced a fine block. Wilkinson was next to test Garden with a long range effort, on target but competently dealt with.

The game was however quickly becoming the Paul Presslie show,as he fired just over in 16 minutes and then looped a near post header from a Paterson corner, also just over.

Stonehaven defender Holtes came dangerously close to finding his own net in 22 minutes when he deflected a Mann cross just wide. Reid at the other end had Garden at full stretch after good work by Milne.

Dangerman Presslie completed his hat-trick in 31 minutes, fellow frontrunner Gregory did the spadework on the left and found his partner, who close in out-witted Middleton and rolled home.

Presslie then turned provider for Gregory but Middleton produced a great block. Stonehaven conceded a fourth in 35 minutes, Gregory finding the net from close in after a powerful Day header on yet another Paterson corner had been blocked.

The visitors possibly had their best spell possession-wise prior to the break but an end product failed to materialise.

Half-time: 4-0

Echt substitute Smith made an instant impact providing the cross for Presslie to bundle over the line for 5-0 in 55 minutes.

It was 6-0 and Presslie went nap in 63 minutes, sent clear on a through ball he clinically beat Middleton as the keeper was left with no choice but to advance.

Cooper swept home with some style for 7-0 after a great right side run by Mann. Middleton distinguished himself with a fantastic double save to deny first Graham and then Gregory in 70 minutes.

J. Roger completed the rout in 78 minutes,cleverly wrong footing Middleton and rolling into an unguarded net.

Gray had a couple of reasonable half chances late on to grab a consolation counter, but was crowded out on both occassions to complete a miserable day at the office for the visitors.

Full Time: 8-0

Echt: Garden, Birse, Leith, Baxter, Day, Paterson, Cooper, Daun, Presslie, Gregory, Mann. Subs – Smith, Graham, J.Roger, V.Roger, Troup.

Stonehaven Athletic: Middleton, MacLeod, Jolly, Bowkon, Holtes, Bannerman, Milne, Lawson, Wilkinson, Reid, Mitchell. Subs – Gray, Brown, Steer, McLellan, Willsher.

Referee: B Christie – Aberdeen