Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Woodside 1 – 2 Echt

Premier Trophy Quarter Final at Lochside Park on Saturday 5th February

This was a game played at pace on a very heavy pitch that started to cut up after ten minutes. Echt had not played a game for thirteen weeks and were full of running from the start.

Nine minutes into the game Echt’s McLeod had Woodside’s keeper McDonald diving at full stretch to push the ball round the post. Three minutes later an Echt free kick was again pushed for a corner by keeper McDonald.

Echt had the best of play for the first fifteen minutes but Woodside eventually settled giving Davie and McGunnigle chances at the other end. Echt midfield were dominating the game and in a two minute spell forced three corners but could not get the ball past keeper McDonald.

With forty minutes gone the game was stopped for three minutes while referee Mitchell spoke to several players and this ended with Echt’s Presslie leaving the field of play at his own request.

Half-time: 0-0

It was a different Woodside in the second half. They pushed forward and had the visitors back four under pressure and forcing a great save from keeper Garden.

Against the run of play Echt’s Darren MacLeod broke down the middle, rounded keeper McDonald and side footed the ball into the net.

Woodside’s Simpson was unlucky when his shot looked goalbound but keeper Garden got a hand to it pushing it out of play. It was all Woodside having Echt pinned back in their own half with keeper Garden outstanding with some of his saves.

In seventy one minutes Echt’s Darren MacLeod received a pass from the left and struck a left foot shot past keeper McDonald.

Ten minutes later Echt’s Day made a poor pass back to his keeper and let Woodside’s Barry Gray get to the ball first and slip it under keeper Garden.

There was no more scoring and Echt now go through to the semi final of the Trophy Centre Premier Division Trophy.

Woodside: McDonald, Neil McGunnigle, Taylor, Buchan, McKenzie, Gibb, Main, Petrie, Gray, Mark McGunnigle, Davie. Subs – Simpson, Sutherland, Marr, Thomson, Ferguson.

Echt: Garden, Birse, Leith, Collie, Day, Paterson, Swan, MacLeod, Presslie, Daun, Mann. Subs – Gregory, Sim, Stewart, McGuillvray, Cooper.

Referee– D. Mitchell

[nggallery id=99]