Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Nicolls Amateurs 1 – 1 MS United

1st Touch Football Division One (North) at Denmore Park on Saturday 26th February

One point separated these two mid-table teams prior to kick off and at the end of a well contested game there was no change as it finished 1-1.

The game kicked of in glorious sunshine on a heavy pitch which restricted some of the flowing football that both teams could play. Nicolls started the game at a high tempo and MS could thank their keeper Chris Scouller for saving their defences blushes in 7 minutes when a ball in from Storey on the right found Skene at the edge of the penalty spot, he hit a volley first time and the keeper saved on the rebound Ord’s shot was cleared off the line by Middler.

Skene was at the heart of most of the attacking moves and a pass from McDonald allowed him to turn Middler before he shot from distance wide of Scouller’s right hand post. Nicolls next effort came when McNamara collected the ball on the halfway line and progressed towards the edge of the box before he shot wide of the target.

In the opening 15 minutes it was Nicolls who were the dominating team, however, a long kick out from Scouller found Walker on the left and he progressed up the wing before firing in a cross which was collected by McIntosh with his back to goal at the edge of the six yard box, he turned and unfortunately put the ball past Webster’s right hand post.

MS were now coming into the game more and Smith was next to try his luck when inside the Nicolls box but again his shot was wide of the target. Nicolls centre half Campbell then had an opportunity when up for a corner he controlled the ball well before shooting over the bar from the corner of the six yard box whilst under pressure from David Young.

Thomson was then spoken to by the referee for a tackle from behind on Skene at the half way line. From the resultant freekick McDonald picked out Martin who in turn passed to Storey and Skene, Nicolls were being too elaborate and Steven Scouller stepped in and cleared the ball. Martin then had an opportunity when he found himself one on one with the keeper but again his shot was wide.

Nicolls had Stephen to thank for a saving tackle on Smith when broke through the middle after a pass from Walker down on the left after half an hour. Scouller was then called into action with a double save when Ord dribbled past David Young and Thomson his point blank shot was parried and then the rebound held.

Nicolls had a claim for a foul waved away as Skene appeared to be obstructed in the MS box by Thomson. A minute before half-time Webster came to Nicolls rescue as a shot from Gunn was netbound he dived full stretch to his left and finger tipped it past the post.

Half-time: 0-0

MS started the second half with more determination and a free kick in 47 minutes conceded by Campbell allowed Walker to attack down the left an interchange of passes allowed Smith to shoot and again Webster palmed the ball over the bar. From the resultant corner some poor marking in the Nicolls box allowed Gunn to fire MS into the lead from 10 yards.

Three minutes later Nicolls thought they had equalised when Ord had the ball in the net but was judged to be offside. However he was not to be denied and in 54 minutes a corner on the right was met by Skene who fed the ball through to Ord who fired the ball into the roof of the net from 3 yards to make the score 1-1.

MS then had a free kick 25 yards from goal which Smith bent round the wall but wide of Webster’s right hand post. Smith then tried his luck after holding off the challenge from Paul Young, Webster saving easily. In 70 minutes there was almost a moment of calamity for Scouller when he was attempting to throw the ball to one of his players it struck the back of Nicolls Martins head and went behind for what should have been a goal kick, however a freekick was awarded.

Gunn and Walker then created a chance which was cleared off the Nicolls line by Johnston who had came on for the injured Paul Young. With 10 minutes to go Smith was denied by a two handed save by Webster when it looked easier to score. At the other end a ball in by Martin to Reid saw him dribble past two player before seeing his shot saved, the ball came back to Ord but his hurried shot was wide.

Both teams were not settling for a point and it was end to end. In the dying minutes Ord broke clear when he pushed the ball past Rollo who unceremoniously brought him down to earn himself a yellow card. From the free kick Sharp headed the ball into the side netting leaving both teams with a share of the points.

Full Time: 1-1

Nicolls Amateurs:  S Webster, P Young, McDonald, Stephen, Campbell, Storey, McNamara, Reid, Martin, Ord, Skene. Subs: Johnston, M Murray, Watson, Sharp, G Murray.

MS United: C Scouller, Middler, S Scouller, D Young, Thomson, Rollo, Stewart, Gunn, Smith, McIntosh Walker. Subs: C Webster, Hall, Jamieson, Mitchell, Catto.

Referee: D Folganan