Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

University 1 – 1 Old Aberdonians

John Todd Memorial Trophy Semi Final at Hillhead on Saturday 2nd October

What a great game to watch. It had goals, penalties, extra time, talented players and a sending off.

From the start both teams showed they wanted to make this final and played good exciting football. With the play flowing from end to end Abo’s keeper Creegan was first in action saving from Uni’s Champion.

Uni’s keeper Miller was also kept busy and had to make saves from Wilson and Marshall. Uni’s Champion was unlucky when his run down the right ended with his shot hitting the post and going out of play.

In twenty six minutes Uni went ahead from a corner headed home by Kevin Leitch.

Uni were having the majority of the play and in thirty six minutes were awarded a penalty when Craig pulled down his opponent in the box. Uni’s Leiper placed the ball on the spot only to see his shot hit the post and cleared upfield.

The score remained 1-0 at half time.

Two minutes into the second half Uni’ should have gone two up when Leitch’s shot from three yards was cleared off the line by Murison.

Abo’s were playing good football and were rewarded in the seventy fourth minute when Euan Wilson pounced on a loose ball and his drive found the back of the net.

Uni’s Reid hit a shot from twenty yards that beat keeper Creegan and hit the cross bar and then went out of play. In eighty three minutes Abo’s Wilson got on to a cross from Cameron but his shot slipped past the post.

With four minutes remaining Uni were awarded a second penalty taken by Reid who put the ball well over the bar.

A minute later Champion had keeper Creegan diving to his left and pushing the ball round the post. Champion had another chance just on time but his shot scraped past the post making the ninety minute score 1-1.

The game went into extra time and with thirteen minutes gone Uni got their third penalty taken by Champion and keeper Creegan made a fine diving save keeping the first period of extra time score 1-1.

In the second period Abo’s Ashton was red carded for a second bookable offence. Uni’ did not take advantage of this and the game ended 1-1 putting the game into penalties.

University won 4-2 giving them a place in the final against the holders Echt.

[nggallery id=85]