Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Glendale 0 – 6 Cove Thistle

Aberdeen Trophy Centre White Cup Quarter Final at Maryculter on Saturday 23rd October

This was the third meeting of Glendale and Cove Thistle this season. Glendale were winners of both league games and were looking for a win at home to put them into the semi final of the White Cup.

Both teams were at full strength and the game started on a very heavy pitch with Cove first to attack. Little beat fullback Will and was allowed to cross to Wilson whose shot went wide. Cove’s next attack led to Glendale’s keeper Walker having to fingertip a shot from Thom over his bar. Glendale were at sixes and sevens and could not get the ball out of their own half and Cove’s Chalmers had the ball in the net but the goal was disallowed for offside.

In sixteen minutes Glendale’s Thomson made a run down the left, cut in and fired in a shot from twenty yards but keeper Hopkins saved comfortably. Glendale were settling and were moving the ball about but could not break through the sea of blue shirts in Cove’s defence.

In a breakaway at the other end Cove had another goal chopped off for offside by referee Donaldson. In twenty seven minutes Glendale’s Oag won the ball in his own half, ran thirty yards beating two men before being brought down on the eighteen yard line. The resulting free kick went high over the bar.

Glendale’s keeper was in top form having to make excellent saves from Cove’s Little, Wilson and Chalmers before being beaten by a header from Craig Wilson who brought his goal tally to twenty-four for the season.

Half-time: 0-1

Glendale’s keeper Walker was in action again when he dived at the feet of Wilson smothering the ball preventing a goal. In sixty four minutes Cove doubled the score when Mitchell Chalmers headed home from a corner. Cove were now the better team in all departments and Greg McKenzie made it 0-3 when he lobbed the ball over keeper Walker from eighteen yards.

With seventy two minutes on the clock a move by Cove’s Little and Wilson let Craig Wilson in to add to the score line. A mistake by Glendale’s Thomson in eighty two minutes gave Edward Esson the fifth goal when he scored from the ege of the box. In the dying minutes Cove’s Mark Stuart ran through Glendale’s defence and put the ball into the net making the final score 0-6.

Full Time: 0-6

Glendale: Walker, Stewart, Will, McConnachie, Darwin, Reith, Oag, Innes, Noble, Grant, Thomson. Subs – Livingstone, Sinclair, Raynes, Mullen, Garden.

Cove Thistle: Hopkins, Bradford, Paul Gill, Gabriel , McKenzie, Thom, Little, Esson, Wilson, Chalmers, Law. Subs – Stuart, Robertson, Strachan, Greig, Jordan Gill.

Referee – I. Donaldson

[nggallery id=88]