Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Bon-Accord City 3 – 1 Echt

Premier Division at Balgownie on Saturday 5th June

Bon-Accord City clinched the AAFA Premier Division title for the first time after defeating Echt 3-1 in the championship decider at Balgownie on Saturday.

These two sides had battled for supremacy at the top of the table throughout the season and it was fitting that they met on the final Saturday to decide the destiny of the Premier Division title. Bon-Accord’s narrow victory over Westdyke in midweek meant that they went into this final game holding a crucial one point advantage over their visitors.

The game kicked-off in bright sunshine and it was Echt who were the first to threaten when Swan fired in a dangerous cross from the right but Sutherland was on hand to clear the danger. Play then moved quickly to the other end where Bartlet volleyed just wide after good build-up play on the left from McLaren and Craig.

The game settled down into an evenly contested midfield battle for much of the remainder of the opening period, with neither goalkeeper being unduly troubled. However, just as it looked as if the first half would end goalless, Echt suddenly broke the deadlock five minutes before the interval when Calum Murray latched on to an incisive through ball from Swan and slotted the ball low past Hill.

Half-time: 0–1

Bon-Accord forced a number of corners in the opening stages of the second period and they levelled the scores on 53 minutes when Darren Redford rose to meet a cross from the right and powered a header just inside the base of the post.

It was Echt who now had to go on the offensive and Still looked to have created an opening for Yackiminie on the hour mark but Bartlet and Hill combined to avert the danger.

Bon-Accord then threatened to take the lead when Watt got on the end of a Tiffney cross but his effort was turned over the bar by Garden. However, a second goal for Bon-Accord did arrive on 73 minutes when a flick-on from Watt found Mark Bartlet who fired the ball into the bottom corner.

The destination of the title was then put beyond doubt six minutes later when Scott Craig grabbed Bon-Accord’s third goal with a well-directed header to ensure that they would take all three points and be crowned AAFA Premier Division champions for season 2009/10.

Final score: 3–1

Bon-Accord City: Hill, Sutherland, A. Craig, Harris, Durno, McLaren, Redford, Bartlet, S. Craig, Tiffney, Brazendale. Substitutes: Watt, Small, Stewart, Aurik, McDonald

Echt: Garden, Macleod, Robertson, Gill, Roger, Leith, Swan, Murray, Still, Yackiminie, Mann. Substitutes: Pawlett, McCoy, Majury, Walker, Troup

Referee: K. Law