Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

RGU 3 – 3 Woodside

Division One (East) at Kaimhill on Saturday 16th January

RGU, languishing at the bottom of the table, took on Woodside who have not been beaten in the league this season.

This turned out to be an exciting game with both teams going for a win. Woodside started with a gale force wind at their backs and had the best of the first fifteen minutes with their midfield winning most of the tackles but they could not break through a strong RGU defence.

It was twenty one minutes before RGU’s keeper Duguid was forced to make a diving save after a poor clearance from fullback Low. Two minutes later Woodside’s keeper MacDonald made a fine save from RGU’s Duley. RGU made another chance when Campbell outjumped the defence but his header went over the bar.

With thirty one minutes on the clock Woodside’s keeper Gavin MacDonald cleared a ball in his own eighteen yard box. Wind assisted it flew over the heads of the RGU defence and over keeper Duguid into the goal making the half time score 0-1.

Half-time: 0-1

RGU were determined to get back into the game and in the first five minutes forced two corners but failed to convert them.

In fifty five minutes Woodside were awarded a free kick twenty five yards out, the ball was sent to the far post where Woodside’s Mark Davidson‘s drive ended up in the back of the net.

On the hour mark Woodside made it 0-3 when a cross from the right was headed home by Aaron Petrie.

RGU would not give in and forced several saves from keeper MacDonald. In seventy three minutes RGU won a corner on the right taken by Fraser Low who scored directly from the corner.

In seventy six minutes RGU’s Adam Twatt scored from another corner when Woodside failed to clear their lines.

Four minutes later RGU were level when Ian Campbell‘s header found the net from yet another corner. Just on time RGU’s Lally was unlucky when his shot scraped past the upright.

Full Time: 3-3

RGU: Duguid, Annand, Low, Lally, Paterson, Twatt, Cran, Campbell, Thain, Duley, Adams. Subs – Carr, McGillvray, Atkinson, Munro.

Woodside: MacDonald, Reid, Donaldson, Gibb, Buchan, Taylor, Batty, Petrie, Gray, Mark McGunnigle, Abadi. Subs – Ritchie, Ferguson, Neil McGunnigle, Stewart.

Referee – M.Boyes

[nggallery id=52]