Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Johnshaven Athletic 0 – 4 Banchory

Aberdeen FC Trophy Second Round at Wairds Park, Johnshaven on Saturday 5th December

Johnshaven Athletic played host to Premier side Banchory on a cold wet day at Wairds Park.

In the 4th minute the first chance came to Banchory when Johnshaven lost the ball in midfield allowing Banchory midfielder Brand to drive on and take a shot from 30yds, which slipped through the fingers of the Johnshaven keeper but went inches past the post.

A couple of minutes later Scott for Johnshaven went up the wing then crossed the ball into the danger area, Banchory could only partially clear the ball and it fell to Milne whose shot went over the bar.

Johnshaven’s next attack started when Scott played the ball through to R. Blease in midfield who slotted it through to L. Dundas whose 20yd shot also went over the bar

In the 16th minute Banchory went down the left then Smith crossed to the back edge of the 18yd box where Robertson crossed it back into the danger area to Chalmers who headed home to put them in the lead 0-1.

In the 25th minute Banchory keeper Ewan saved an overhead kick by R. Blease at the back post but was injured in the process. After a short stoppage for treatment he was able to continue in goals.

A minute later Smith for Banchory went up the wing beating two defenders then put the ball though to Chalmers who shot but Johnshaven keeper Gourlay made a great save. The rebound fell to Birse whose shot went over the bar.

In the 34th minute a Banchory indirect free kick was played through to Robertson ran up the line then pulled the ball back to Chalmers who scored his second goal of the game to put them further in the lead 0-2.

In the 38th minute there was a good spell of play for Johnshaven when R. Blease picked the ball up in midfield and played it through to Milne who laid it off to Carnegie. He took on two Banchory defenders before getting in a powerful shot which hit the junction of the post and bar and came flying out past Banchory keeper Ewan. L. Dundas tried for the rebound but he was just beaten by a Banchory defender who cleared the ball.

Half-time: 0-2

In the 51st minute Cruickshank for Johnshaven picked the ball up on the half way line and when past the Banchory midfield but was fouled. The resulting direct free kick by Carnegie was a 25yd strike, which just crept over the bar.

Not long after this L. Dundas was tackled and the ball broke to Milne who drove up the left-hand side and put in a cross which Banchory keeper Ewan managed to punch clear.

Just after this Banchory made their first substitution when Rodney replaced Smith

On the hour-mark from a Johnshaven goal kick Rodney intercepted the ball and ran 20yds before releasing a shot, which was pushed round the post by Johnshaven keeper Gourlay. The resulting corner came to nothing.

Just after this A. Welsh went on a solo run from the Johnshaven box to the Banchory 18yd box where he was tackled. The ball fell to Carnegie for Johnshaven whose shot from the edge of the box went just wide.

In the 64th minute Banchory made their second substitution when Gilbert replaced Girvan.

A few minutes later Johnshaven made a double substitution when S. Blease and Smith replaced Carnegie and Leven.

In the 70th minute another good spell of play for Johnshaven between Smith and Milne unfortunately ended when Banchory intercepted the ball and played it up the park where it fell to Smith of Banchory who curled a shot round the Johnshaven post for a goal kick.

Not long after this Banchory made their last substitution when Whittaker replaced Robertson

This was closely followed by Johnshaven making their last substitution when L. Scott replaced Reid.

In the 77th minute Gilbert for Banchory did well to turn his man and his 30yd shot was well held by Johnshaven keeper Gourlay.

In the 84th minute a Johnshaven direct free kick from 25yds by S. Blease sailed over the bar.

In the 87th minute Johnshaven could only partially clear. Banchory put the ball through to Gilbert who hit a peach of a shot from the edge of the box in to the top corner of the net to make the score 0-3.

Almost on the final whistle Johnshaven were on the attack but Banchory regained the ball and played it up the right wing to Chalmers who knocked the ball past a Johnshaven defender then cut into the 18yd box before hitting the ball high into the net to complete his hatrick.

Full Time: 0-4

Johnshaven Athletic: Barrie Gourlay, Steven Scott, Jack Dalgarno, Aaron Welsh, James Reid, Jason Leven, Logan Cruickshank, Ross Blease, Bruce Carnegie, Robert Milne, Leon Dundas, Lee Scott, Shaun Blease, Steven Smith

Banchory: Graham Ewan, Craig Fitpatrick, Neil Gamblin, Scott Brise, Ross Proven, Scott Girvan, James Smith, David Brand, Craig Chalmers, Malcolm Robertson, John Smith, Josh Gilbert, Damon Whittaker, Tom Lloyd, Scott Rodney, Michael Girvan

Referee: Brian Anderson

Match Report by Craig Strachan