Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Newmachar Utd 5 – 3 Feughside

Scottish Amateur Cup Second Round at Charles Gordon Park on Saturday 17th October

This was an eight goal thriller with both teams playing good attacking football. On today’s performance there did not seem to be a two league gap between them.

Feughside were the first to attack and Newmachar’s keeper Martin Booth had to look lively to save from Feughside’s Beaton when he turned quickly in the box and got his shot in. Keeper Booth was called into action again when he had to scramble across his goal to push a shot from Mackie round the post.

Having survived this early pressure Newmachar then went ahead in eight minutes when a long clearance went over the defence and Scott Lornie pounced and beat keeper Christie with a right foot drive. In fifteen minutes Newmachar doubled their tally when from eighteen yards Scott Fraser beat keeper Christie.

Two minutes later a poor kick from Feughside’s keeper fell to Farquhar whose shot hit the bar and rebounded to Gavin Booth who slotted the ball home to make it 3-0.

Feughside were not giving up and had chances but they were thwarted by keeper Booth. Feughside’s Gavin Beaton beat three men and again was stopped by keeper Booth diving at full stretch to push the ball for a corner.

Half-time: 3-0

From the restart Newmachar’s Gavin Booth made a run at goal rounded the keeper but his shot was cleared off the line by Feughside’s Mathers. Both teams were playing attractive football moving the ball around with the final passes letting them down.

In fifty seven minutes Newmachar went further ahead when Gavin Booth lost his marker and fired the ball into the corner of the net.

Minutes later Feughside’s Gregg Mackie pulled a goal back when poor defending let him cut in and score from ten yards. From the restart Newmachar’s Gavin Booth made an unchallenged run through the middle and scored his hat-trick and Newmachar’s fifth.

In sixty eight minutes Feughside’s Davidson should have scored with only the keeper to beat but his shot ended in the keeper’s arms. Newmachar’s keeper was kept busy and had to make a save from Mackie before Feughside’s pressure paid off when Gregg Mackie finally beat keeper Christie.

With two minutes left Feughside’s Matthew McKenzie made the score 5-3 when he beat keeper Booth with a long distance shot but it was Newmachar United who went through to the next round.

Full Time: 5-3

[nggallery id=49]