Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Lads Club Amateurs 5 – 2 Continental

Dickie Trophy First Round at Hazlehead on Saturday 3rd October

Lads Club Amateurs go through to the second round of the Dickie Trophy after coming back from two goals down to win against Continental.

The gale force wind prevented both teams from playing good passing football and at times it was difficult for the goalkeepers to kick a dead ball out of the eighteen yard box.

Continental went ahead when a long ball out of defence reached Steven Watt who ran on to it and chipped keeper Deans. In sixteen minutes Continental went two up when Steven Watt again beat his marker and scored from six yards.

Lads Club were struggling playing into the gale and were finding it difficult to get out of their own half. Continental were allowed to make chances but poor finishing let them down. Against the run of play Lads Club managed to pull a goal back just before half time when Billy Laws received a pass from Masson and he beat keeper Eaglesfield with a right foot drive.

Half-time: 1-2

With the wind behind them the second half belonged to Lads Club and with forty nine minutes on the clock Keith Webster had a shot from twenty five yards that swerved in the wind and beat keeper Eaglesfield to level the scores at 2-2.

In fifty four minutes Continental failed to clear their lines from a corner and Lads Club’s Ryan Gillies stepped in and put his side ahead. Lads Club were well on top and when a ball was crossed into the six yard box by Laws it hit a defender and went into the goal.

The most bizarre goal came in seventy five minutes when Continental’s keeper ran out of goal kicked the ball upfield the ball came back in the wind over his head and into the goal.

In eighty nine minutes Continental’s Watt was unlucky not to get his hat trick when his run ended with his shot hitting the post, rebounding and being cleared upfield making the full time score 5-2.

Full Time: 5-2

[nggallery id=47]