Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Nicolls Ams 1 – 1 Torry Utd

Division One (North) at Denmore Park on Saturday 19th September

In a game both teams were looking to win in order to creep up the league table both will have been disappointed with a point, although this was probably a fair result.

Torry were keen to have back to back wins after their 5 -1 demolition of Stonehaven Athletic last week, whilst Nicolls were happy to have a game after a two week spell without playing. They also had to cope with their captain Scot Webster and three other players being missing due to Scot’s stag weekend.

The game started in glorious weather and a breeze blowing up the pitch at Nicolls’ backs and Nicolls took advantage after eight minutes when Martin picked up the ball just inside his own half and made a direct drive toward the Torry goal. With the Torry defence backing off he unleashed a shot along the ground into the left hand side of the goal from 25 yards as he wrong footed Clark in the Torry goal.

This goal seemed to wake the Torry lads up and five minutes later O’Donnell of Nicolls was robbed of the ball on the left, midway inside his own half by Duthie who went up the wing after dribbling past Young and fired a pinpoint cross onto the head of the unmarked Nicol who made no mistake from eight yards out to level the scores .

There were few chances of note before the half-time whistle, however Nicolls could have retaken the lead when Skene was sent clear and with only the keeper to beat elected to lob the advancing keeper and also the bar.

Half-time: 1-1

The game was looking for a spark to ignite it and it took until midway through the second half for either keeper to be tested . It came when Nicolls managed to string a handful of passes together finally releasing Openshaw who raced to the by line and cut back to Skene who only managed to turn the ball back to keeper Clark.

Clark had to move sharply in the seventy-fifth minute when Bradford created a chance for himself after cutting in from the left wing he fired a low shot to Clark’s right only to see the keeper dive and somehow palm the ball over the bar. From the resultant corner Torry broke up field and only a good two handed save by Mathieson prevented Nicol doubling his own and his team’s score.

Keeper Mathieson again came to Nicolls’ rescue minutes later as he raced out of his box and calmly controlled the ball with his chest as he was put under pressure by Clark and cleared the ball upfield.

With two minutes to go Torry felt aggrieved as Nicol was pulled up for offside as he raced on to a long through ball and had only Mathieson to beat.

Full Time: 1-1