Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

MS Utd 0 – 0 Great Western Utd

Aberdeen FC Trophy First Round at New Advocates Park on Saturday 12th September

This game may have lacked goals but it did have several brilliant saves by MS United keeper Kevin Smith during the 120 minutes which he then followed up with a save at his left hand post in the shoot-out to allow his side to win 5-4 on spot kicks and progress to the second round of the Aberdeen FC Trophy.

MS United were up against Premier Division team Great Western United in this tie and the difference in levels was evident in the first half as Great Western created several chances only to be thwarted by the feet of Smith. MS were playing down the slope, however Duffy of Great Western was causing them problems and when he broke up the left past Middler after ten minutes he looked odds on to score but his weak shot was easily saved. Great Western continued to push forward and a through ball by Chisholm found Milnes on the edge of the box but his shot went high over the bar.

Chances were coming thick and fast and Great Western had two opportunities to score in consecutive minutes, the first from a chip over the defence by Jack to Duffy whose lob evaded both the advancing keeper and the goal and was cleared by Lloyd for a corner. Smith was called into action again from the resulting corner and under pressure managed to fist the ball clear.

MS United’s attacks were relying on the quick break and a long ball from Bowman caught out the Great Western defence but keeper Brown came off his line and cleared the ball. At the other end Smith then made two saves with his feet firstly from Milnes and then from a close range effort from Maclean.

MS United almost took the lead in 35 minutes when a free kick found Selfridge in the box but he saw his effort blocked by Chisholm. Both teams created more chances before the interval but nothing was on target.

The second half saw MS United come more into the game, but goal scoring chances were lacking, and when they did materialise, some poor finishing resulted in the game ending 0-0. There were no goals in extra-time and the game was decided on penalties where MS United keeper Smith became the hero when he saved Great Western’s second penalty.

[nggallery id=42]