Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

AC Mill Inn 0 – 4 Cowie Thistle

Association Trophy First Round at Minerallwell Park, Stonehaven on Saturday 5th September

Holders Cowie Thistle took on local rivals AC Mill Inn in this Association Trophy First Round derby match at Stonehaven.

Cowie had players out today and were forced to field a weakened team. They started forcing AC Mill Inn back into their own half and keeper Lawson had to look lively saving shots from Leith and Abernethy.

In the second minute Cowie were awarded a free kick twenty yards out. Adie floated the ball over the defensive wall and found the head of Robert Day who headed home via the post.

Five minutes later Mill Inn were awarded a free kick at the edge of the box and keeper Stubbs made a fine save from Muir. Mill Inn were unlucky in the sixteenth minute when a shot from Muir hit the post, came back into play and was cleared upfield by Davidson. Muir was unlucky again when his drive was pushed for a corner by keeper Stubbs.

This was turning out to be a very competitive game with both teams playing flowing football with some heavy tackles thrown in.

Half-time: 0-1

In the forty ninth minute AC Mill Inn were forced to replace their keeper after he fell badly making a save. They were pushing forward trying to get the goal back but poor finishing by Hood and Adam let them down.

In sixty-six minutes Cowie went two up when a free kick rebounded off the post and Martin McLean pounced on the ball and made no mistake from close range.

Three minutes later Mill Inn had another chance but once again the ball went wide of the target. The game was virtually over in seventy-six minutes when Martin McLean chipped the substitute keeper McClelland to put his side three goals in front.

AC Mill Inn’s Wood was shown the yellow card followed by a red for tripping Cowie’s striker outside the box. Deep into added time the visitors made it 4-0 when Ross Abernethy‘s header hit the bar, dropped down, hit the keeper and went into the goal.

Full Time: 0-4

[nggallery id=41]