Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Kincorth 1 – 3 Echt (AET)

North of Scotland Amateur Cup Quarter Final at Inverdee on Saturday 18th April

This was the third meeting this season between Kincorth and Echt, Echt coming out with two wins and a draw. This quarter-final was not the most exciting of games, a game that was continually stopped by petty, unnecessary fouls.

Echt took the initiative from the kick-off and had the ball in the net after two minutes but referee McGettrick disallowed the goal for a push on the keeper. Two minutes later Echt forced a corner on the right and the ball was floated to the far post where Echt’s Graham Ramsay outjumped the defending pack to head into the net.

Echt were having most of the play, keeping Kincorth pinned back in their own half and Echt’s Ramsay was unlucky in twelve minutes when his shot beat keeper Valentine and was cleared off the line by Paul Smith.

It took Kincorth twenty minutes to settle and they started passing the ball around and were rewarded in thirty one minutes when Lee Mair scored from a corner.

Kincorth’s Gove made two chances with runs down the wing, beating defenders and crossing the ball into the middle where Simpson and Thomson’s shots went wide. At the other end Echt’s Wood set up a chance for Presslie whose shot went over the bar keeping the scores level at half time.

Half-time: 1-1

Kincorth started the second half with a shot from Simpson that keeper Garden saved at full stretch. In fifty minutes Echt’s Daun ran on to a through ball from Stewart but he sliced his shot past the upright.

Both midfields were trying to gain advantage but their moves were breaking down in the last third of the pitch. In eighty-three minutes Echt’s Presslie missed a great chance when he was unmarked at the far post four yards out, he managed to get a foot to the ball and the ball hit the outside of the post and went out of play.

In the eighty-eighth minute of the game Kincorth’s Gove sent in a perfect cross and a diving header from team mate Thomson brought out a fine save from keeper Garden to make the ninety minute score 1-1.

Full time:1-1

The first period of extra time belonged to Kincorth with several shots saved by Echt’s Garden keeping the score after 105mins at 1-1.

At the start of the second period Kincorth’s Thomson beat two men and his shot hit the crossbar before being cleared. Echt’s Gordon Troup missed a chance in front of an open goal putting his mis-hit shot the wrong side of the post.

In the 114th minute Alan Daun put his side ahead with a shot from eighteen yards. Echt added to their tally when Kincorth were caught pushing forward and a long clearance out of defence fell to Gordon Troup who chipped the ball over keeper Valentine making the final score 1-3.

When manager Gove was congratulating his opponents he jokingly said “if you come to our night out next month you will see the Premier League winners’ Trophy in our cabinet”.

Final Score (AET): 1-3

Kincorth: Valentine, Paul Smith, Marr, Barrack, Colin Smith, Gove, McKenzie, Mair, Simpson, Thomson, Beaton. Subs – Slaven, Davie, Lonie, Kemp, Robertson

Echt: Garden, Roger, Robertson, Stewart, Aberdein, Daun, Murray, Allan, Presslie, Ramsay, Wood. Subs – Pawlett, Scotland, McGillvray, Mann, Troup

Referee – J. McGettrick