Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rattrays XI 0 – 1 Kemnay Youth

Division Two (North) at Heathryfold on Saturday 28th March

Kemnay Youth came out 1-0 winners in this tight Division Two (North) league tussle. Heathryfold was looking immaculate considering the previous night’s downpour and right from the kick off Rattrays went on the attack with Yeats firing over the Kemnay bar from the edge of the box. Two minutes later it was Kemnay on the attack down the left with Ingram firing over a cross which Mackie headed wide.

Following a great passing move involving four players Rattrays moved the ball to Minett who crossed the ball in to Allan who moved it on to Pocklington who slipped it to the attacking Logie who again shot over. Rattrays were beginning to take control, however on the break Kemnay quickly moved upfield and only a blocking tackle by Allan prevented Murray from opening the scoring. The game was being dominated by both midfields and chances were few and far between. Kemnay won a corner on the right and when Braidwood in the Rattrays goal came for and missed the inswinging ball completely he was glad to see Harvey clear the ball upfield.

The game was being interrupted with unnecessary free-kicks from both teams as they struggled to judge the flight of the ball in the strong wind which was blowing down the pitch. Ingram of Kemnay was seeing plenty of the ball as he attacked down the left and he was unlucky to see a curling shot go past Braidwood’s far post. Yeats was creating problems for the Kemnay defence and when he nodded the ball down to Minett it looked like he would easily score but his shot into the wind was weak and easily saved by Lorimer. Minett could have again opened the scoring in 35 minutes when Smith crossed the ball to him however he hurried his shot and pulled it wide of the target

As the half drew to an end Kemnay had their goalkeeper Lorimer to thank for keeping the score at 0-0 as he dived full length to his left and finger tipped away a shot from Minett before the ball was then fired back across the goal line by Graham, but there were no takers. Innes then beat the Rattrays offside trap and tried to lob Braidwood but the keeper somehow managed to back track and save what looked like a certain goal.

Half-time: 0-0

Kemnay made a change at half-time with Adam coming on to add his strength up front. With the wind at their backs Rattrays were pinning Kemnay into their own half and when a free kick was awarded 30 yards out it gave Chris Logie a chance to test the keeper but the shot was wide of the target. At the other end, Waterston broke free of his marker from a through ball from Adam and with only the keeper to beat blasted the ball over the bar and out of the ground from 12 yards.

Rattrays were trying long range shots and Allan was unlucky to see a 35 yard drive go just over the bar. Smith then held off his opponent at the edge of the box before turning and firing his shot wide.

In the 62nd minute Kemnay took the lead when Yeats committed a foul inside the Kemnay box and from the resulting quick free kick the ball was moved swiftly up the right wing where Rattrays conceded a throw-in eight yards from their goal line. The throw was taken quickly and when it was flicked on to the head of Adam he made no mistake from six yards as he put the ball low past the diving Braidwood.

This goal seemed to open up the game with chances falling at both ends and only poor finishing stopping either team scoring. Kemnay had numerous chances to finish Rattrays off but didn’t take their chances and almost paid for it when there was a strong claim for handball inside their box in added on time, then just as the game ended Chris Logie of Rattrays found himself clear in the box only to shoot at a height that Lorimer could save easily.

Full time: 0-1

Rattrays XI: Braidwood, Harvey, Strachan, Allan, Douglas, Chris Logie, Pocklington, Yeats, Smith, Graham, Minett. Subs : Jonston, Harding, Loggie, Cumming, Ironside

Kemnay Youth: Lorimer, Strachan, Peter, Muirhead, Colligan, Ingram, Coull, Murray, Innes, Mackie, Waterston. Subs: Adam, Stuart, Nicol, Campbell, Webster

Referee – S Taylor