Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Rainbow City Taxis Advert

Cowie Thistle 2 – 1 Bon-Accord City

Association Trophy Third Round at Stonehaven on Saturday 14th March

Cowie Thistle had already beaten Bon-Accord in the Premier League this season but today’s Association Trophy match developed into a game between Bon-Accord’s forwards and Cowie’s keeper. Keeper Stubbs made some magnificient saves to put his team through to the next round.

The game started with both teams looking for an early goal and after ten minutes the score could have been 3-2 for Bon-Accord with both sides missing chances. Bon-Accord appeared to have scored first when the ball came back off the bar and fell to Watt who stroked the ball home but referee Guyan disallowed the goal indicating offside.

Cowie had a strong wind at their backs and were overhitting the ball and their passes were going astray but in twelve minutes Cowie’s McMillan found the net after some close passing work from Cahill and Fraser.

In twenty four minutes Cowie made the score 2-0 after a cross from the right found Watson unmarked and he shot home from close range. Six minutes later Cowie’s Cahill had a chance to put his team further ahead but a diving save from keeper Hill foiled the move.

Bon Accord slowed the game down and their hard working midfield were pushing the ball through to their strikers who in turn put pressure on Cowie’s defence. The pressure paid off in forty minutes when a long throw from Bartlet found McLaren who headed past the keeper.

Half-time: 2-1

Bon-Accord went on the attack from the start of the second half and Bartlet forced a fine save from keeper Stubbs. Redford pounced on a loose ball in the eighteen yard box, fired in a shot that was pushed for a corner by keeper Stubbs and from the corner Stubbs had to make another save from Redford.

A run by Bon-Accord’s Davidson saw his shot cleared off the line by Taylor and Watt had a shot heading for the top corner but Cowie’s Riddell managed to divert it for a corner.

Cowie were living dangerously but managed to cope with the Bon-Accord pressure. Bon Accord’s Davidson should have scored when, with only the keeper to beat, he put his shot past the post.

In seventy six minutes Bon-Accord had the ball in the net when an eighteen yard drive from Watt finally beat keeper Stubbs but to everyone’s surprise referee Guyan disallowed the goal and gave a free kick to Cowie.

With ten minutes to go a fierce drive from Bon-Accord’s Watt was palmed out by keeper Stubbs only as far as Davidson whose hurried shot went over the bar from six yards. A breakaway by Cowie’s Leith gave him a chance at goal but Bon-Accord’s forty-nine year old veteran centre back Durno blocked his shot.

The last eight minutes belonged to Cowie’s keeper Stubbs who had to make saves from Watt, Davidson and Bartlet to keep his team in front and progress in the competition.

Full time: 2-1

Cowie Thistle: Stubbs, Riddell, Masson, Taylor, Bolton, Watson, McMillan, Hudson, Cahill, Fraser, Fowler. Subs – Leith, Grant, Strachan, Adie

Bon-Accord City: Hill, Tiffnay, Stewart, Harris, Durno, Brazendale, Bartlet, McLaren, Davidson, Watt, Redford. Subs – Sutherland, Livingstone, Falco, Craig, Mowatt

Referee – D.Guyan

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.