Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Cove Thistle 4 – 4 Sportsmans Club

Aberdeen FC Trophy Third Round at Catto Park on Saturday 6th December

Division One (North) Sportsmans Club gave Premier Division Cove Thistle a hard game in the third round of the Aberdeen FC Trophy, eventually winning after extra time and penalties.

Sportsmans took the initiative from the kick off and Cove’s keeper Hopkins denied them a goal in the first minute when he saved a shot from Wilson. Sportsmans’ Masson was next to test keeper Hopkins with a long distance shot that the keeper pushed over the bar. The visitors were the hungrier team in the opening period and had Cove on the back foot forcing them into errors.

A free kick to Sportsmans was taken quickly catching Cove’s defence sleeping but keeper Hopkins saved the day again with another fine save from Ord. Cove came into the game and started to push the ball about pushing forward and Gill and McKenzie had shots saved by keeper Beattie.

In thirty three minutes Cove’s keeper pulled down Ord in the box and from the spot kick McKenzie put his team in front. Three minutes later Cove’s Wilson had a chance and with only the keeper to beat he put his shot past the post. Cove made another chance with a move by Gill and Stewart but the ball was cleared off the line by Balfour.

Half-time: 0-1

Cove started the second half well and in forty seven minutes Wilson hit the bar with a fierce drive and minutes later he was unlucky when he got his head to a cross from the left but keeper Beattie managed to push the ball round the upright. Cove drew level in fifty four minutes when a long throw in was headed into goal by Cove’s Craig Law. On the hour mark Sportsmans’ Ord crossed to John Law whose diving header beat keeper Hopkins.

Sportsmans’ lead lasted seven minutes when a long distance shot from Strachan beat the unsighted keeper. The game was flowing from end to end with both teams creating chances but unable to break down the defences until the seventy fifth minute when Cove stood claiming offside and let Ord through to score. Four minutes later the score was level again when from another long throw Craig Law scored.

Full -time: 3-3

The ninety minutes ended 3-3 and the game went into extra time. In ninety five minutes Cove took the lead for the first time when Stewart’s run ended with him scoring from close range. In one hundred and ten minutes Sportsmans’ John Law scored to put the game into penalties.

From the penalty shoot out Sportsmans came out victors 8-7 to clinch a place in the next round of the cup.

After Extra Time: 4-4, Sportsmans Club won 8-7 on penalties

Cove Thistle: Hopkins, Stewart Law, Ryan Law, Bradford, Greig, Craig Law, Gabriel, McKenzie, Wilson, Stewart, Gill. Subs – Booth, Little, Strachan, Cranham, Morrice.

Sportsmans Club: Beattie, Balfour, Conner, Sharp, Somers, Paul Masson, McKenzie, Lee Masson, Wilson, Law, Ord. Subs – Buchanan, Williamson.

Referee – G. Catto

Image Gallery