Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

Halliburton 1 – 1 Luthermuir

Fosters Centenary Scottish Amateur Cup Second Round at Lawsondale on Saturday 4th October

The gale force wind blowing down the park made this Scottish Amateur Cup tie a game of two halves. Halliburton went into the game minus nine regular players out through injuries forcing them to field a weakened team with Luthermuir having most of their regulars available.

Halliburton kicked off with the wind at their backs and had keeper Howe worried in the first minute when he had to have two attempts to save a shot from Mutch.  Halliburton were having the better of the play with some good one touch football but their moves broke down in the last third of the pitch. After winning a corner in the fifteenth minute the ball was punched clear by Luthermuir’s keeper Howe only as far as Halliburton’s Webster who’s fierce drive from twenty yards hit the back of the net putting the home team in front.

From the restart Luthermuir made a run through the middle and a strike from Arthur was pushed for a corner by keeper Marlow at full stretch. Luthermuir were finding it difficult against the wind to penetrate the Halliburton defence and were forced to shoot from twenty plus yards but could not hit the target.

Luthermuir’s first chance came in thirty four minutes when from a half cleared corner their striker Stuart’s shot scraped the post with keeper Marlow beaten.  Although most of the play was in the Luthermuir half Halliburton were not able to break through a crowded penalty area and the score remained 1-0 at half time.

Half-time: 1-0

A well executed free kick early in the second half saw Luthermuir’s Reid head the ball towards the top corner of the net but an agile keeper Marlow got a hand to it.  Keeper Marlow was in action again when he had to dive to his right to smother a shot from Stuart.

In the eightieth minute Luthermuir’s Scott Robertson got the equaliser when he headed the ball into the net from a corner. There was no more scoring in the game and the two teams will have to do it all again in two weeks time at Luthermuir.

Full-time: 1-1

Halliburton: Scott Marlow, Wood, Duncan, Webster, Lawrence, Stuart Marlow, Young, Mutch, Ross Fulton, McDonald, Simpson. Subs – Brown, Hamilton, Graeme Fulton, Laing.

Luthermuir: Howe, Gordon Lindsay, Anderson, Mark Robertson, Scott Robertson, Morrison, Duff, Arthur, Fotheringham, Stuart, Reid. Subs – Hall, Irvine, Stuart Lindsay.

Referee – Derek Mitchell