Aberdeenshire AFA

Official website of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association

FC Geldie 2 – 3 Kintore

Aberdeen FC Trophy Second Round at Findon on Saturday 27th September

Kintore go into the hat for the third round draw of the AFC Trophy after beating FC Geldie in a hard fought game at Findon.

This was the second meeting of the teams in as many weeks and Kintore came out victors again. The game started with both teams a bit wary of each other and it was not until the seventh minute when Geldie’s Matheson’s free kick had Kintore’s keeper scrambling across his goal only to see the ball go past the upright. Minutes later Kintore’s Richard Strachan blasted the ball over the bar from ten yards. Kintore should have gone ahead in fifteen minutes when a run by Richard Strachan beat two defenders and he crossed a perfect ball into Stronach who miskicked and sent the ball wide from three yards.

Kintore were having problems hitting the target and some fine work by their midfield was spoiled by poor finishing. Geldie came more into the game and had some opportunities but keeper Thomson who was making his 601st appearance for the club was in good form keeping his goal intact. Just before half time a long ball from keeper Thomson bounced over Geldie’s defence and let Kintore’s Jack Strachan run on to it and beat keeper Buchan putting the visitors 1-0 up at half time.

Half time: 0-1

FC Geldie changed their keeper at half time putting sub Goffin in goal and putting their first half goal keeper Buchan into defence. In forty nine minutes a fierce drive by Kintore’s Richard Strachan was not held by keeper Goffin and Kintore’s McCall pounced on it scoring from close range 0-2.

In fifty two minutes Kintore got a break when keeper Thomson ran out to clear the ball, his clearance hit Geldie’s Davis, flew up high over the keeper and the crossbar. Geldie were pushing Kintore’s midfield back into their own half forcing them into errors but could not take advantage. Geldie’s pressure was rewarded in seventy four minutes when they were awarded a penalty after a handball in the box and Matheson made no mistake from the spot 1-2.

In seventy seven minutes Geldie claimed for another penalty when a cross from the right appeared to hit the hand of a defender but referee McLean waved play on. Geldie were having their best spell of the match but there were too many red shirts defending the Kintore goal. Against the run of play Kintore’s McCall ran through the Geldie defence who were claiming for offside and rounded the keeper to put his team 1-3 up.

Just on time Geldie were awarded another penalty and Reid’s shot was parried by keeper Thomson, fell back to Reid who slotted in at the second attempt making the full time score 2-3.

Full-time: 2-3

FC Geldie: Buchan, Christie, Matheson, Martin, Hamilton, Mackie, Forsyth, McDonald, Davis, Johnston, Black. Subs – Reid, Findlay, Wood, Goffin.

Kintore: Thomson, Graffin, Welsh, Ross, Richard Binnie, Stronach, Stalker, Nicol, Jack Strachan, McCall, Richard Strachan. Subs – Barrie, McGillvray, Hardie, Steven Binnie.

Referee – W. McLean